Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Forays using Etsy

If you haven't heard of etsy, it's about time you get over there to check it out!

I've recently found some excellent gifts on their site, like this sign I got my parents for their anniversary (obviously I customized it for them).


There are so many darling things on there, and just browsing really juices up my creativity.

adorable, but out of my price range

I was even inspired to start selling some things of my own!  Going online increases your audience tremendously, and it only costs 20 cents to list an item.  It's easy to create a shop and start listing items for sale.

The first product I listed was a quilt kit.  The process of making eye spy quilts produces LOTS of those hexagons with the pictures on them.  The fabric store won't just sell you just a snippet, so I usually buy enough fabric to make 10-25 hexagons (1/4 to 1/2 a yard).  While I love my friends and family dearly, I just don't need to be making THAT many baby quilts.  So I decided to make kits and sell them online!

My kit comes with all the hexagons needed to make a baby quilt, templates so you can cut out your own pictures, and detailed instructions.  I would rank the difficulty level at "intermediate", and they take about 20 hours each to make (including design, cutting, sewing, and quilting).  I've already sold a few!!!



After making earrings for my bridesmaids recently, I realized that they might also be a good product to list on etsy.  I can custom make them for any wedding (or other occasion).  I'll let you know if I have any luck!



What neat products have you discovered on etsy???  Have you had any luck selling items?

1 comment:

  1. Your quilt kit made me think of this!!!

    http://www.bloglovin.com/m/1611478/314284718/a/0/aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnN1Z2FyYW5kbWVyaW5ndWUuc3F1YXJlc3BhY2UuY29tJTJGYmxvZyUyRjIwMTElMkYxMCUyRjIwJTJGaG93LXRvLW1ha2UtcXVpbHQtY29va2llcy5odG1s

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!